Saturday, June 27, 2009

R.I.P. MJ

I'm still in disbelief over Michael Jackson's death.

My thoughts towards him are so dichotomous: on one side, innovative musician whose songs still sound fresh and electrifying dancer whose moves remain unmatched (Ursher and JT, sorry guys, you can't compete); and on the other, the bizarreness of Michael and the pedophilia charges. I would always say that I was a fan of Michael the musician, but not of Michael the person.

Yet, after having watched the special that aired a few years ago where MJ was interviewed by a British journalist, I did feel pangs of sympathy - it seemed like MJ was someone who needed major psychological help, and never got it. Come on - for someone to voluntarily deform themselves, and change appearance so drastically, putting up with the pain of repeated surgeries just to try to reflect how they saw themselves in their mind's eye points to a major corner case. I think a big part of me always thought that he'd get it back together and become the mid-80's Michael again - only odder looking. Rest in peace, King of Pop.

1 comment:

AnalyticsKim said...

I am so sad over this. I'm glued to cnn when i get home from work!