Sunday, February 22, 2009

Birth of the Sloan Temple Pilots

Many of those who know me know that I'm musically inclined. Before I came to Sloan, I was practicing music production, and was starting to get pretty decent, until the Core took over my life. Still, nothing can replace the feel of playing with other people. I hadn't been in a band since college, I just hadn't had the time.

That's why, I was ecstatic when a classmate approached me about starting an MBA band to rival the one that currently exists (The Rolling Sloans) which is a exclusive and only has 2nd years. Thus, the Sloan Temple Pilots were born. With almost ten people interested, and a logjam at guitar, I decided to be the bassist (which I don't really know how to play), and take vocals on a few songs.

Our first rehearsal was yesterday, and we didn't seem to at first be off to an auspicious start. In total rock star fashion, some of us were pretty late, our drummer had his wrists taped up from a snowboarding accident, and many band members looked like they'd had a rough morning from a long Friday night. The rehearsal space we were renting was tiny, relatively nasty, and smelled of stale cigarettes.

Yet, when we launched into our first song, we sounded fricking great! There is (not surprisingly) a ton of talent at Sloan, and even with us not having our parts all down, getting confused over certain timing issues in some songs, and all of us generally being rusty, we could have performed some of the songs we practiced right there and then to a full house.

Our first gig is in April. Be there!

1 comment:

AnalyticsKim said...

I'd like some royalties for coming up with the name when you guys make it big! :)